New Rules For Travel To The U.S.

Posted On 22 Mar 2014
By :
Comment: Off
Tag: all new rules for travel to the America, new rules for travel to the U.S., new rules for travel to the USA

As a European, you do have the United States without a visa. During the flight to America always filled a green form, i.e. the so-called Visa Waiver visa waiver. Since January 12, 2009 this has changed and you have to ask permission in advance via the ESTA system.

  • How did it first?
  • New rules
  • How does ESTA?
  • The steps in ESTA
  • What ESTA want to know me?
  • Countries under the U.S. Visa Waiver Program

How did it first?

On January 12, 2009 were residents of certain countries to travel to the U.S. without asking (see “Countries under the U.S. Visa Waiver Program” for an overview) a visa. By agreeing to the program, the traveler says all rights to appeal against the decision of the customs officer to admit or not. Appeal your passport must comply with the latest requirements, i.e. electronically readable. You had officially had a return ticket or proof of transit to another country, but were rarely asked there. At customs you answered some questions from the public. Your fingerprint was taken digitally, and a picture is taken. If everything was okay, you could in the U.S…

New rules

Anyone who wants to travel to the U.S. without a visa under the new rules must receive permission to be allowed inside the U.S… The journey can take up to 90 days and the destination for business or vacation. The approval shall be obtained through the so-called Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) at least 72 hours before departure. If a traveler has not received permission may be denied. Accessing the plane him or her Exceptions to this rule are those who land (via Canada or Mexico) the U.S. come: they do not currently go through ESTA and only need to fill in at the border the green I-94 form. According to the U.S. ESTA website, the goal is to increase for travelers who at first were relatively freely within the country. Safety in the U.S.

How does ESTA?

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization is as the name suggests an electronic system and is available from 1 August 2008 the secure website You can request permission for yourself, but a third party can do for you, for example, the agency or family. You need to enter information about yourself and your journey. Your request is being viewed by the system and if everything is in order, you will receive an automatic response. The airline that you are flying wills the U.S. Customs check that you have completed the process.

Everyone must go through ESTA, even children without ticket and passengers in transit to another country. Authorization through ESTA does not warrant that the U.S. may enter; because you still have the standard procedure at customs must go through. The permission to travel to the U.S. will remain valid for two years or until your passport expires. If you have multiple visits undertaken within two years or within the period of validity of your passport (depending on which of those two earlier comes), you can adjust the travel information on the ESTA website. This is not compulsory and consent shall continue to be retained.

Since September 8, 2010 ESTA is no longer free and you have an amount of $ 14 payable by credit card. According to the customs is $ 4 required for the management of the electronic system, but is $ 10 to the state treasury under the “Travel Promotion Fee”, or a pot of money with which to travel to the U.S. will be encouraged. Not go anyway forces with ESTA companies that arrange for you to have more money and sometimes even count each way. It costs $ 14, not more.

If your request is denied, you only pay the $ 4 for the application. Only if your application is actually approved, you pay the extra $ 10 as well. Updating your information after your application (for example, with a new flight number) is not mandatory and does not cost anything extra. You should be on a subsequent request, e.g. pay if your passport has expired or because his past two years. Again alone again!

ESTA is available in several languages.

The steps in ESTA

  1. Fill in all the information about yourself, your passport and your trip. Answer the seven security questions.
  2. Once you’ve checked the answers and have printed a copy, you must declare that you have read everything properly and have filled in correctly. Lets you indicate that you waive your rights to appeal against the decision of the Customs appeal. Then click on “submit” to make the request.
  3. Write your application number on. With this number, your passport number and your date of birth, you can track the status of the application or update.
  4. ESTA will give you an answer almost immediately. If more time is needed, you will receive an answer within 72 hours.

The following three statuses you receive after you have completed the program

  1. Authorization Approved: you have permission.
  2. Travel Not Authorized: you cannot travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. You must apply for a visa at the embassy.
  3. Authorization Pending: Your application must be further examined and you will receive an answer within 72 hours. By logging on to the website you can check the status of your application later.

What ESTA want to know me?

The following information must enter your travel authorization:

  • Date of birth
  • Country where you were born (at 22 December 2011)
  • Nationality / country where your passport is from
  • Country where you live
  • E-mail (optional)
  • Surname
  • Name: Only the first
  • Sex
  • Phone number (optional)
  • Passport Expiration
  • Date of issue passports
  • Country passport issue
  • Passport
  • Flight number (not required)
  • Place of departure: the last place for landing in the U.S. (not required)
  • Place of residence: hotel name, or the first address as there are several. Passengers traveling further right outside the U.S. fill in “In Transit”. (Not required)

The following seven questions, the system will ask:

  1. Do you have a communicable disease, physical or mental disorder, or are you a drug abuser or addict? Under communicable diseases covered include cancer, gonorrhea, granuloma inguinale, HIV, infectious leprosy, lymphogranuloma venereum, infectious syphilis and active tuberculosis. Other disorders are only important if they can make for yourself and others a hazard.
  2. Have you ever been arrested or Convicted for an offense or crime of moral turpitude or a Violation Involving related to a controlled substance, or leg or arrested Convicted for two or more Offenses for All which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more, or a leg controlled substance trafficker, or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?
  3. Have you ever been or are you now Involved in espionage or sabotage, or in terrorist activities, or genocide, or between 1933 and 1945 were you involved in any way, in Persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?
  4. Are you seeking to work in the U.S., or have you ever been excluded and deported, or leg previously removed from the United States, or procured or attempted to procure a visa or entry into the U.S. by fraud or misrepresentation?
  5. Have you ever detained, retained, or withheld custody of a child from U.S. citizen granted adds custody of the child?
  6. Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa or entry into the U.S. or had a U.S. visa canceled?
  7. Have you ever asserted immunity from prosecution?

Uncertain about what to answer or do you want a specific answer to what applies to your situation, please contact the U.S. Embassy or the Customs and Border Protection. They can give you the most current and accurate advice for your condition’s No point to make about personal situations, because the interpretation of the rules is done by Americans and add any comments in this article is not the author of this article.

Countries under the U.S. Visa Waiver Program

Passport holders from the following countries need to apply for a visa and come under the Visa Waiver Program. So they have to deal with the new regime.

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Finland
  • France
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Austria
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
About the Author